LightCONEX 50G and 150G active blind mate optics
The LightCONEX™ revolutionary blind mate optical interconnect for VPX embedded computing systems, consists of a module connector and a backplane connector compatible with the VITA 66.4 standard. A LightABLE 50G optical transceiver is directly integrated into the plug-in module connector, saving board space and eliminating fiber cable handling. The backplane connector is a low profile drop-in replacement for the VITA standard but includes springs to ensure a secure MT to MT mating connection under extreme shock and vibration.
The LightCONEX is offered with a 12-lane transmitter, a 12-lane receiver, a (4+4)-lane transceiver or a (12+12)-lane transceiver in commercial or industrial operating temperatures. Each lane operates at up to 12.5 Gbps.
The LightCONEX solution frees up board space by integrating the optical transceiver into the board edge connector. The backplane connector, also part of the LightCONEX solution, has a spring-loaded mechanism ensuring optimal optical mating meeting VITA 66.0 requirements. The rugged construction of these connectors ensures error free data transmission under severe shock, vibration, and temperature extremes.
VPX board with VITA 46 and LightCONEX plug-in connectors.
ELMA 3U VPX backplane with VITA 46 and LightCONEX connectors.
Close-up of the LightCONEX plug-in module connector.
Close-up of the LightCONEX backplane connector.
Specifications and features
Module connector features
- Rugged: MIL STD 883 compliant
- Moisture resistant: sealed
- Small size (D×W×H): 23 mm×14 mm×6 mm
- Bandwidth: 12.5 Gbps/lane
- Temperature: –40 ºC to 100 ºC
- Reach: 300 m, OM3 fiber
- BER: 10–15
- Low power consumption: 1.2 W per module
- Data interface: CML
- Board mount: LGA connector
Backplane connector features
- VITA 66.4 drop-in replacement
- Spring-loaded MT ferrule
- Coarse and fine mating alignment
- Low profile: 10 mm height
- Available VITA 67.3 drop-in replacement with a 12-lane TX and a 12-lane RX at 12.5G per lane
- VPX single board computers
- Phased array radars
- High I/O density links
- Supports 2-level maintenance