LightCONEX Backplane connector
The LightCONEX® active blind mate optical interconnect is a revolutionary solution for VPX systems that includes a fixed plug-in module connector and a floating backplane connector compatible with proposed VITA 66.5 standard. The backplane connector has a spring-loaded MT to ensure a secure MT to MT mating connection under extreme shock and vibration conditions.
Specifications and features
- Optical interconnect: Mechanical Transfer (MT) ferrule with linear array of 12 or 24 parallel multimode fibers
- Secure connection: Spring within the backplane optical cable provides the mating force between plug-in module and backplane MTs.
- Standards: Designed following VITA 66.5 standard (forthcoming).
- Maintenance: Supports two-level maintenance.
- Blind mate: Eliminates fiber handling and frees up space on host board.
- Robustness: Tested for vibration and shock over industrial temperature range, exposure to humidity, salt fog, sand and dust, mate/un-mate cycles, following military specs.
- VPX single board computing
- C4ISR embedded systems
- AESA radars
- Ethernet switches, high BW communication links
Two LightCONEX 12TRX Style A plug-in module and backplane connectors compatible with the VITA 66.4 standard. (2 × 24 fibers total)
ELMA 3U VPX backplane with LightCONEX backplane connector Style A
Backplane connector features
The LightCONEX backplane connector contains the Face plate and Insert. The connector is designed to provide float in both the X- and Y-directions to enable alignment of the MT ferrule mating interfaces. The design complies with the ANSI/VITA 66.4 mating requirements with the MT ferrule displacement occurring within the backplane connector.
Single or dual MT ferrules and/or hybrid configurations (including RF coaxial contacts) are available.
- Spring-loaded MT ferrule (12-lane or 24-lane)
- Coarse and fine mating alignment
- Low profile: 10 mm height
- Compatible with 12-lane or 24-lane OM3 or OM4 fiber ribbon cable
LightCONEX backplane connector Style B shown here.
The main components of the backplane connector are:
- Face plates. Dedicated face plates are available for VITA 67.3 (apertures C, D, and E) and VITA 66.4.
- Insert housing available in styles A, B, C, and Crf. The main components of the housing are:
- Primary alignment feature
- MT ferrule with alignment pins
- Optical cable assembly with springs.
Optical cable options are:
- 12 fibers MT: 6 in. 12-fiber optical cable with MT12 termination at both ends, alignment pins, and a single MT clip.
- 24 fibers MT: 6 in. dual 12-fiber optical cable with MT24 termination at one end and dual MT12 termination at the other, alignment pins, and 2 MT clips.
The LightCONEX backplane connector Style A design is intended for active optical applications utilizing the 0.8-in. plug-in module pitch. It is dedicated for the VITA 66.4 aperture.
- Primary alignment feature located above the single MT ferrule.
- Insert housing retrofits into VITA 66.4 aperture (0.8 in. pitch).
The LightCONEX backplane connector Style B design offers a combination of dual MT ferrule and can provide up to 48 fibers (2 × 24).
- The lower MT ferule mates with the plug-in module active MT, while the upper one is cabled.
The LightCONEX backplane connector Style C design offers a single MT ferrule with the upper portion left open for other applications.
Different backplane face plates are available to accommodate VITA apertures. Compatibility is shown in diagram here:
- 450-00070: Backplane Face Plate (b) for aperture AP1
- 450-00065: Backplane Face Plate for aperture AP2
- 450-00066: Backplane Face Plate for aperture AP3
- 450-00068: Backplane Face Plate (b) for aperture AP4
The face plate styles mate with insert styles. The inserts come with the required MT-terminated optical cable(s) and MT ferule(s). Compatibility is shown in diagram here:
- 450-00062: Backplane Insert Connector Style Ab
- 450-00054: Backplane Insert Connector Style B
- 450-00042: Backplane Insert Connector Style C