LightCONEX LC 120G (full duplex) plug-in module connector
The LightCONEX® active blind mate optical interconnect is a revolutionary solution for VPX systems that includes a fixed plug-in module connector and a floating backplane connector compatible with proposed VITA 66.5 standard. The low-profile plug-in module connector is screwed on the board edge through an interposer, saving board space and eliminating fiber cable handling. Compatibility with the different VITA apertures is shown in diagram here.
Specifications and features
- Optical interconnect: Mechanical Transfer (MT) ferrule with linear array of 24 parallel multimode fibers
- Secure connection: Spring within the backplane optical cable provides the mating force between plug-in module and backplane MTs.
- Standards: Designed following VITA 66.5 standard (forthcoming).
- Maintenance: Supports two-level maintenance.
- Blind mate: Eliminates fiber handling and frees up space on host board.
- Robustness: Tested for vibration and shock over industrial temperature range, exposure to humidity, salt fog, sand and dust, mate/un-mate cycles, following military specs.
Module connector features
- Rugged: MIL STD 883 compliant
- Moisture resistant: sealed
- Compact transceiver (L×W×H):
32 mm ×14 mm ×5 mm (24-lane)
- Performance: 10.3125 Gbps/lane from –40 ºC to 100 ºC
- Reach: up to 300 m, OM3 fiber
- BER: up to 10–12 with −12 dBm sensitivity
- Low power consumption: 2.8 W per module (24-lane)
- Data interface: CML
- Board mount: LGA connector
- VPX single board computing
- C4ISR embedded systems
- AESA radars
- Ethernet switches, high BW communication links
Please see product datasheet for detailed specifications.
LightCONEX LC with 24-lane active module on a 3U VPX board (Style A, with front mating plate removed).
The LightCONEX LC is offered with a (12+12)-lane transceiver with industrial operating temperature rating. Each lane operates at up to 10.3125 Gbps.
Plug-in module connector features
The LightCONEX plug-in module connector contains the optical transceiver with its MT ferrule, an LGA interposer, and a front mating plate. The front mating plate has the primary alignment feature socket and a hole to accommodate the MT from the transceiver.
LightCONEX plug-in module connector Style B shown here.
The main components of the plug-in module connector are:
- Front mating plate, with:
- Hole to accommodate MT from the transceiver
- Primary alignment feature socket
- Optical transceiver
The LightCONEX plug-in module connector Style A is dedicated for the VITA 66.4 aperture and is a unique style with the primary alignment feature socket located above the optical transceiver. These connectors require interposers ITP1 or IPT2.
Style B and C
The LightCONEX plug-in module connector Style B and C are dedicated for the VITA 67.3 aperture and have front mating plates for each respective styles. The primary alignment feature is located below the optical transceiver. These connectors require interposers ITP3, ITP4, or IPT5.
- Style B has one optical transceivers and one cabled MT.
- Style C has one optical transceiver.
These plug-in module connectors are secured with screws directly to the edge of the host board along with their dedicated LGA interposers.
Optical transceiver with front mating plate
The plug-in module connectors are equipped with optical transceivers offering multiple transmit and receive and bandwidth configurations and with required interposers:
- LightCONEX 12RX, 12TX, and 12TRX modules: for Styles A, B, and C
Plug-in module connector styles all shown with 12TRX transceiver.
- 3.03 mm, 233 positions. Style A (ITP2)
- 1.2 mm, 233 positions. Style B and C (ITP4)
ITP2 233-position interposer
ITP4 233-position interposer